Tuesday 12 February 2013

My New Goal



I do not thrift shop much to be honest but I went recently with a good friend of mine. I found an awesome Vera Wang dress and a cute leather brown purse (picture above). I had a new feeling towards thrift store shopping. I felt I earned what I just bought. I searched the store for those pieces and was in turn rewarded. It was a good feeling. Then it hit me! I just came across what I plan to do for Lent.

I am a non practicing Catholic. Ironically I found God when I stopped attending mass. I found God in yoga, dance and just life in general. I still take Lent very seriously however. I like to do things in honor of whatever creator has made me. Before I gave up Diet Coke one year for Lent (but I still had it on Sundays). It was extremely hard to do but worth it. Now I am more aware of my Diet Coke intake then I was before. I think I still drink a lot but not as much as before.

Ok so here is the deal. I love buying clothing. People I know come to me for fashion advice. I feel very honored when they do. However I want to become even more of a true fashionista. I plan to give up shopping for clothes for Lent, UNLESS it is a thrift store. I want to become a thrifty shopper and be able to find diamonds in the rough. True fashionable people can find inspiration anywhere. It will help my wallet plus my creativity! I got the book, New Dress a Day to help me the skills of becoming a great thrift store shopper.

Also I will not buy jewelry because I can make my own. If I can make something, I will not allow myself to buy it. Obviously I will make it instead. I will expand my sewing skills as well. I want to be able to sew more than just pillows. I like to be able to sew my own clothing!

This will also help me work on utilizing all the pieces I already have in my wardrobe, instead of just focusing a select few, which I admit I am very guilty for. It will help me mix and match!

Heck! I might even continue to do this after Lent is over if it is something that going really well for me.

So wish me luck! It starts tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment